Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Moving - even just a blog - is always crazy

Nobody asked me if I wanted to pack up 143 blog entries and move 'em. I've shoved 'em all into - okay, not the horse trailer, but into an enormous document in my "Documents" file. I've downloaded them the way Yahoo! 360 told me to do, and shoved that into my "Documents" file.

Then I went to my Blogger account and tried to follow the rules for unloading all this into my Blogger version of The Little Red Hen Construction Company and Arts Studio....

"It's easy!" they promised. I should have known better. Moving is never easy. 

You can't get from Point Y to Point B (Yahoo to Blogger) by simply cutting and pasting and expecting your pictures to be delivered at the same time as the text from your "Copy&Paste" document. Nope - the pictures got lost in the move.

You can't get from Point Y to Point B using the Yahoo 360 Download "moving company." Somehow, when the Blogger moving company comes to unpack your download and move it into your new blogging home, they can't get the box of copy and pictures to open, and they simply hand you an intricate "error" label instead. 

I'm getting a little frustrated with the "Can't get here from there" routine.

Bit by bit, I'll be taking the massive 1-143 blog entries from Yahoo! 360 you can read below, and I'll be relabeling their titles and trying to find ways to get their pictures back on their "walls." The entries read a little peculiarly when the copy comments on a photo that isn't there - such as the one about why Floridians call California hills "mountains" because of the cute little photo of the cute little sign on a cute little lump in the road in my cute little Florida community...which you can't see because the cute little Yahoo!360 decided to close its cute little shop.....

And, of course, I'm handling all the repairs myself. The "pros"  - Yahoo and Blogger - aren't being particularly helpful at this point. If they were, I wouldn't be handling this the hard way.

Now you know how the "Little Red Hen Construction Company" got its name. When it comes down to it, I may not be able to hammer a nail straight, or make storage shed walls meet each other at 90-degree angles. But sometimes, when you wanna get 'er done, you gotta handle the job by yourself. 

Just like the Little Red Hen in the childhood story.

No comments: